A doctor, who along with his wife sustained severe burn injuries from a fire reportedly caused by a lit cigarette coming in contact with hand sanitiser, died at a hospital this morning.
Rajib Bhattacharjee (36), a neurosurgeon at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University, breathed his last around 8:30am at the intensive care unit of Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute, Dr Samanta Lal Sen, chief coordinator of the institute, told The Daily Star.
Rajib was put on life support with 87 percent burns since the fire incident that took place at their house in Dhaka's Hatirpool on July 22.
His wife Anushua Bhattacharjee, a doctor at a private medical college, is receiving treatment at the hospital with 20 percent burns.
"We cannot say that she is out of danger yet," Dr Sen added.
Rajib was smoking when he began pouring hand sanitiser into a smaller bottle. Suddenly, he caught on fire and it spread. His wife sustained burns as she tired to douse the fire to save Rajib.
The couple's only daughter Rajashree Bhattacharjee (5) was at her grandfather's house in Cumilla during the incident.