Abrar Fahad murder: Zion denied bail | The Daily Star
01:44 PM, June 02, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:51 PM, June 02, 2020

Abrar Fahad murder: Zion denied bail

A virtual court in Dhaka today rejected a bail petition of Meftahul Islam Zion, a 15th batch student of naval architecture and marine engineering department, in connection with the killing of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (Buet) student Abrar Fahad in October last year.

Judge Abu Zafar Md Kamruzzaman of Speedy Trial Tribunal-1 passed the order after Zion's lawyer submitted the bail petition through email on Monday.

The judge, in his order, said the accused was directly involved with the killing and he gave a confessional statement before a magistrate on October 11 last year. So, his bail petition was rejected, the judge added.

Abrar, a second-year student of electrical and electronic engineering department of Buet, died after he was brutally beaten allegedly by some Chhatra League men at Sher-e-Bangla hall of the university in the early hours of October 7, 2019.

Later, Fahad's father filed a case with Chawkbazar Police Station against 19 Buet BCL leaders.

The incident triggered a firestorm of protests on campuses across the country. Many took to social media to demand justice for Abrar.

Amid protest on the campus, Buet authorities October 11 banned all political activities on the campus and suspended 19 students, mostly leaders of the university's BCL unit who have been made accused in Abrar Fahad killing case.

Zion, also sports secretary of BCL Buet unit, was arrested on October 7 last year, a day after the murder of Fahad.

While giving confessional statement to a magistrate, he said he saw his accomplices beating the victim inside a room of Sher-e-Bangla Hall on October 6 last year.

On November 13 last year, detectives submitted a 105-page charge sheet against 25 Buet students in connection with the murder case.

Of them, 22 accused were earlier arrested and they were remanded several times. During the investigation, eight of the accused including Zion gave confessional statements to magistrates on different dates.

Three of the accused have been absconding since the incident took place.

Following the charge sheet, the court had issued arrest warrants against them. The court also ordered to publish advertisements in two national dailies asking the three fugitives to appear before the court within a stipulated period.

But the three fugitives were yet to surrender before the court.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top