Narayanganj mosque blast: Death toll rises to 33 | The Daily Star
10:40 AM, September 19, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 05:58 PM, September 19, 2020

Narayanganj mosque blast: Death toll rises to 33

Two persons, who suffered severe injuries in a blast at a mosque in Narayanganj, died at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery in Dhaka today.

The deceased were identified as: Abdul Aziz (40), and Farid (55).

Of them, Aziz breathed his last around 5:30am with 45 percent burns while Farid passed away around 1:45pm with 50 percent burns, Dr Partha Shankar Paul, resident surgeon of the burn institute, told The Daily Star.

Both of them were undergoing treatment at the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital, he added.

With them, 33 people have so far died from the blast while the condition of three others admitted at the hospital remains critical.

The explosion happened at Pashchim Talla Baitus Salat Mosque around 8:45pm after Esha prayers on September 4.

Fire officials said the explosion was caused due to an accumulation of leaked gas from an underground Titas Gas pipeline that somehow came in contact with an electric spark.

Titas Gas has suspended eight of its officials and staffers in connection with the blast. During digging, officials noticed two holes in an underground gas pipe adjacent to the mosque.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top