The High Court will deliver its verdict tomorrow on the rule issued by it over compensating Tk 1 crore to the family of Rajib Hossain, who died after losing his hand that got stuck between two buses in the capital last year.
The HC bench of Justice JBM Hassan and Justice Md Khairul Alam on May 23 fixed June 20 (tomorrow) for passing the judgement as it concluded hearing on the rule on May 8, Deputy Attorney General Motaher Hossain Sazu told The Daily Star.
On April 3, 2018, the third-year student of Government Titumir College lost his right hand after it got stuck between two speeding buses of BRTC and Sajan Paribahan, which were trying to overtake each other in Bangla Motor area in Dhaka. Rajib died at Dhaka Medical College Hospital on April 17 after two weeks in coma.
Following the accident, on April 4 last year, HC directed owners of the two buses to bear all treatment costs of Rajib, and also issued a suomoto (voluntary) rule asking the government and the bus owners to explain why they should not be directed to pay Tk 1 crore in compensation to the victim’s family members.
On May 8 last year, HC ordered the bus companies to pay Tk 1 crore to Rajib's family as compensation. However, BRTC and Sajan Paribahan filed two separate petitions with the Supreme Court challenging the HC order.
On May 22 last year, the SC stayed the HC order and asked it (HC) to form an independent committee to assess the liabilities.
The committee, led by Prof Mizanur Rahman, director of Accident Research Institute at Buet, in its report said reckless driving was the “primary cause of the accident” and blamed Sajan Paribahan for the incident.
Barrister Ruhul Quddus Kazal, who moved for the suomoto rule, argued for compensation for Rajib. DAG Motaher Hossain Sazu represented the state.