Narayanganj mosque blast: 8 suspended employees of Titas placed on 2-day remand | The Daily Star
01:13 PM, September 19, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 06:42 PM, September 19, 2020

Narayanganj mosque blast: 8 suspended employees of Titas placed on 2-day remand

A Narayanganj court today placed eight suspended officers and workers of Titas Gas Transmission and Distribution Company Limited on a two-day remand each in connection with the blast at a Narayanganj mosque on September 4, which claimed 33 lives so far.

Senior Judicial Magistrate Kaosar Alam passed the order after the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of police produced them before his court this afternoon with a five-day remand prayer, reports our Narayanganj correspondent, quoting Court Inspector Asaduzzaman.

Later, they were taken to police custody, he added.

Earlier in the morning, CID officials arrested the eight persons from different areas of Fatullah in Narayanganj Sadar upazila. Among the arrestees, four are engineers while the rest are workers, said Jisanul Haque, senior assistant superintended of CID.

"They were arrested on basis of evidence of negligence," informed the CID official.

The arrestees are: Fatullah Zonal office manager Sirajul Islam, 42; deputy manager Mahmudur Rahman Rabbi, 34; assistant engineer SM Hasan Shahriar, 32; assistant engineer Manik Mia, 33; senior supervisor Munibur Rahman Chowdhury, 56; senior development worker Ayub Ali, 58; assistant Hanif Mia, 48; and Ismail Pradhan, 49.

He said if any negligence of the mosque committee members is found over the blast, they too will be arrested.

The explosion took place at Pashchim Talla Baitus Salat Mosque around 8:45pm after Esha prayers on September 4.

Fire officials said the explosion was caused due to an accumulation of leaked gas from an underground Titas Gas pipeline that somehow came in contact with an electric spark.

On September 6, Sub-inspector Humayun Kabir of Fatullah Model Police Station filed a case against unidentified people, alleging negligence that resulted in the explosion and casualties.

Titas Gas has suspended eight of its officials and staffers in connection with the blast. During digging, officials noticed two holes in an underground gas pipe adjacent to the mosque.

In two separate letters, the Titas authority suspended the eight officials and staffers for negligence.

The authority also issued show-cause notices against them.  

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News