Fire gutted valuables worth over Tk 1 crore at a superstore in Sylhet city early yesterday.
Around 6:30am, the fire originated from an electric short circuit in Big Bazaar's Taltala outlet and spread rapidly, said Dinmani Sharma, deputy assistant director of Fire Service and Civil Defence in Sylhet.
Two units of firefighters rushed to the spot and doused the blaze within an hour, he said.
Quoting locals, Sharma said the store located on the ground floor of a hotel was closed when the fire broke out.
All the goods in the superstore and its warehouse have been destroyed in the fire, the official added.