Workers of nine state-run jute mills in Khulna tonight withdrew their fast-unto-death strike following assurance by Textiles and Jute Minister Golam Dastagir Gazi to fulfill their demands.
They made the decision following a meeting of the leaders of Collective Bargaining Agents (CBAs) and non-CBA Sangram Parishad with Textiles and Jute Minister Golam Dastagir Gazi and State Minister for Labour and Employment Begum Monnujan Sufian, Joint Convener of the parishad Murad Hasan told our Khulna Correspondent.
The meeting was held the conference room of Jute Diversification Promotion Centre (JDPC) of the Ministry of Textile and Jute in Dhaka today.
“We have called off our strike as the government gave us assurance of fulfilling the demands saying it that the workers will get their wages according to 2015 wage commission award from January 16,” he said.
The workers will return to their work from Saturday, added Murad Hasan
Mizanur Rahman, a worker of Platinum Jute Mill Workers, told our correspondent that they will continue the demonstration until their leaders will return to Khulna from Dhaka.
Earlier in the day, the workers withdrew blockade on Dhaka-Khulna highway one hour after they took position on the road today.
The agitating workers went into demonstration on the fifth consecutive day of their fast-unto-death programme to press home their 11-point demand.
The demands include implementation of the 2015 wage commission award and timely payment of wages.
The jute mill workers along with their family members blocked the highway near the BL College at Notun Rasta in the city around 11:00am, halting vehicular movement from both sides of the road.
After taking position on the highway, they told the police that they will withdraw it after a while.
Later they withdrew the blockade around 12:00pm, the correspondent said.
During the fast-unto-death, 977 workers fell sick so far. Seventeen of them were taken to different hospitals including Khulna Medical College Hospital, the leaders said.