Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen today urged expatriate Bangladeshis who want to return to their workplaces in Saudi Arabia to have patience.
"We are all working together. We are working sincerely to resolve the problem," he told reporters at his office after an inter-ministerial meeting.
The foreign minister warned that the Saudi government does not condone disorderly conduct and such demonstrations might bring negative outcome for the migrant workers.
"Our prime minister never wants expatriates to suffer," Momen said.
He said the Bangladesh government has requested the Saudi government to extend the tenure of 'Iqama' (valid work permit) and visa of Bangladeshi expatriates for three more months.
"We just made the request yesterday (Tuesday)," Dr Momen said, expecting a positive outcome from the Saudi side.
The foreign minister urged the workers not to get misguided by anyone and mentioned that the person who submitted demand letter on behalf of demonstrating workers is not an expatriate but a local person who is involved in politics.
The Saudi government has so far extended the validity of Iqama for Bangladesh citizens thrice who got stuck here due to Covid-19 pandemic.
The latest extension term will expire on September 30.
Bangladesh Embassy in Saudi Arabia has sent a letter to the Saudi Foreign Ministry requesting an extension of three months beyond September 30.
Meanwhile, a group of Bangladeshi migrant workers have been demonstrating, demanding tickets to Saudi Arabia so that they can join their workplaces.