‘Murdered’ girl found alive: HC forms judicial inquiry committee | The Daily Star
03:08 PM, September 24, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 09:13 PM, September 24, 2020

‘Murdered’ girl found alive: HC forms judicial inquiry committee

The High Court today formed a judicial inquiry committee with the chief judicial magistrate of Narayanganj to conduct a probe into the incident of a girl found alive and police action over arresting three accused who gave confessional statements on the rape and killing of the girl.

The HC asked the committee to record statements from the investigation officers of the case, the three accused who made confessional statements to a magistrate, and the victim and her parents.

The chief judicial magistrate of Narayanganj has been ordered to allow the lawyers of the accused, victim, her patents, and the public prosecutor concerned of the case to appear before the inquiry committee during recording of their statements if they feel necessary.

The HC bench of Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Md Mostafizur Rahman ordered the judicial probe committee to submit its report to this court by November 4.

The bench set November 5 for holding further hearing and passing order on this issue.

The HC came up with the directives following a revision petition that challenged the police action of arresting three accused, and their confessional statements to a magistrate about the rape and killing of the child who was later found alive in Narayanganj.

Five lawyers led by Mohammad Shishir Manir submitted the revision petition on August 25 challenging the case proceedings.

According to the statement of revision petition, the class five student went missing on July 4 this year. Her father Jahangir Hossain filed a case with Narayanganj Sadar Model Police Station on August 6 on charge of abducting his daughter.

Police later arrested three accused Abdullah, Belal, Rakib in connection with the case and they gave confessional statements to the magistrate concerned saying they killed the child after rape and then dumped her body in the river. Then, the accused were sent to jail.

In the meantime, police found and rescued the child on August 23, 49 days after the incident took place. She is now in police custody, according to the revision petition.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News