The BGB yesterday said measures would be taken as per recommendations of an investigation committee over the shooting incident that left three people dead and 16 others injured in the district's Haripur upazila a week ago.
Speaking at a press conference at Thakurgaon Circuit House, BGB Director General Maj Gen Shafeenul Islam said it was an “untoward” incident for both the border force and the villagers.
The BGB and the villagers would remain alert to make sure that such an “untoward” incident didn't happen again, he told reporters.
Shafeenul said the five-member high-level BGB probe committee, headed by Additional Director General (operations) Brig Gen Sazzad Hossain, had been asked to file its report as soon as possible.
Replying to a query about extending support to the injured people, the BGB chief said they were thinking of it. “We will extend support to the victims' families after the completion of the investigation.”
About withdrawing BGB's cases against villagers, he said they discussed the issue with the Thakurgaon deputy commissioner and the superintendent of police.
Asked whether the BGB could have avoided opening fire on innocent people, he said he would not make a comment on the matter as it was under investigation.
In this connection, the BGB chief said the paramilitary force carries out its duties to protect 4,427 km border by maintaining congenial relationship with the people.
BGB Thakurgaon Battalion Sector Commander Col Shamsul Arefin, BGB 50 Battalion Commanding Officer Lt Col Tuhin Mohammad Masud, Thakurgaon DC KM Kamruzzaman Selim and SP Md Moniruzzaman were present, among others.
Earlier on February 12, the BGB in a statement said one of its patrol teams went to Baharampur village that day to seize “smuggled” cattle.
As the BGB men were taking those to Betna camp, cattle smugglers intercepted them and tried to snatch away the animals.
At one stage, the BGB personnel got into an altercation with the villagers, who encircled them. Failing to calm down the villagers, the BGB men opened fire in self-defence, the statement added.
The paramilitary force on February 14 filed two cases against some 275 people, including two deceased, from Baharampur village in connection with the incident.