A Sylhet court today sentenced three people to death in a case filed over the killing of four schoolboys in Bahubal upazila of Habiganj in February last year.
Speedy Trial Tribunal in Sylhet also fined the trio -- Rubel Mia, Arju Mia and Ustar Mia -- Tk 10,000, our Moulvibazar correspondent reports quoting Special Public Prosecutor Kishore Kumar Kar.
Among them, Ustar Mia is on the run, the official said.
Two other accused -- Jewel Mia and Shahed Ahmed Bashir – were sentenced to seven years’ imprisonment and fined Tk 5,000 on charge of abduction.
Meanwhile, Abdul Ali and Babul Mia were acquitted of the charges as allegation brought against them was not proved.
Family not happy
Expressing dissatisfaction over the verdict, Salema Begum, mother of victim Monir Mia, said, “The pain of losing my son has further increased due to the judgement as mastermind Abdul Ali has walked free. We will appeal to the High Court against this verdict.”
Monir Mia, 7, Zakaria Shuvo, 8, Tajel Mia, 10, and Ismail Mia, 10 -- were killed on February 12 over enmity between their fathers and their rival group in village arbitration council.
Detectives on April 5 pressed charges against Abdul Ali, his two sons Rubel Mia and Jewel Mia, Habibur Rahman Arju, Shahed Ahmed Bashir, Bachchu Mia, Babul Mia, Ustar Mia and Billal Mia.
Bachchu was killed in a “gunfight” with Rab on February 25, 2016.