Thirty winners were announced in 'Bangladesh's Recovery Idea and Plan: Youth Perspective competition' on July 25 through a virtual ceremony.
Rizwan Dawood Shams, Deputy Managing Director, IPDC Finance Ltd was the chief guest of the competition where a total of 1217 participants submitted their recommendations for post Covid-19 recovery, according to a press release.
Many youth have already taken to social media as a medium to express their concerns, thoughts and ideas. To compile their ideas in a more systematic manner and share it with appropriate stakeholders, youth opportunities and IPDC Finance Ltd organised the competition titled "Write to Fight-Bangladesh's Recovery Idea and Plan: Youth Perspective".
The far-reaching consequences of Covid-19 pandemic have affected the lives and livelihood of millions of Bangladeshis. Considering the complexities, the recovery plan for post pandemic Bangladesh will require active participation from everyone, especially the youth. Young people have a special role to play since they will bear the long-term impact of this emergency.
The aim of the competition was to give bright young people, a platform where they can share their thoughts, ideas and recommendations as the country prepares a post Covid-19 recovery plan. There were 10 categories under which participants sent their recommendations. The category wise winners are:
-Boosting social safety net programs:
- Champion: Mahmudul Hasan Nayeem, Manarat International University
- First Runner Up: Marjuka Ahmed Chowdhury, Bangladesh University of Professionals
- Second Runner Up: Atiya Islam, Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology
-Ensuring Agricultural sustainability:
- Champion: Tamanna Pervez, Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology
- First Runner Up: Tanjina Sultana, University of Dhaka
- Second Runner Up: Arafat Hossain, Daffodil International University
-Fostering Education and digital learning:
- Champion: Rashid Taqui (Sakib), Shahjalal University of Science & Technology
- First Runner Up: Ivi Akter, Mawlana Bhashani Science and Technology University
- Second Runner Up: Athoi Ganguly, University of Dhaka
-Promoting young employment and job creation:
- Champion: Imran Hossain, Shanto-Marium University Of Creative Technology
- First Runner Up: Humaira Anjum, BRAC University
- Second Runner Up: Sakib Hossain Khan, North South University
-Protecting marginalized communities:
- Champion: Himadree Sarkar, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology
- First Runner Up: Seyam Rabbi, BRAC University
- Second Runner Up: Shawon Talukdar, University of Dhaka
-Protecting migrant workers and flow of remittance:
- Champion: Sanjida Afroz, Dhaka School of Economics, University of Dhaka
- First Runner Up: Faria Afrin, North South University
- Second Runner Up: Avishek Dey, Khulna University of Engineering & Technology
- Champion: Md.Abdullah Al Noman, Bangladesh Agricultural University
- First Runner Up: Nazmul Hasan Majumder, Feature Writer, Computer Jagat
- Second Runner Up: Sadia Afrin Momi, Chittagong University
-Safeguarding women employment and empowerment:
- Champion: Nasratul Ferdous, Noakhali Science and Technology University
- First Runner Up: Farhana Akter, National University (Dhaka City College)
- Second Runner Up: Israt Sultana Nishe, University of Dhaka
-Strengthening healthcare system:
- Champion: Khundkar Sharar Iqbal, University of Dhaka
- First Runner Up: Lamia Mohsin, University of Dhaka
- Second Runner Up: Sk. Maher Ansari Mahim, University of Dhaka
- Champion: Ishrat Jahan Holy, University of Dhaka
- First Runner Up: Humayra Afia Mim, BRAC University
- Second Runner Up: Md. Shahjahan Rahman, University of Dhaka
Ministry of Youth and Sports; Ministry of Power Energy and Mineral Resources; a2i, Government of Bangladesh, British Council, Bangladesh Scouts, The Daily Star, BRAC Amra Notun Network, LightCastle Partners, Samakal, Utv Live and Channel 24 were partners of this competition.
Rizwan Dawood Shams, deputy managing director of IPDC Finance Ltd said, "Youth of any nation have the resilience to absorb adversity. National Writing Competition- WRITE TO FIGHT is a unique and timely initiative taken by Youth Opportunities to bank on their perspectives for the country's recovery plan in the post Covid-19 era. IPDC as an avid advocate of youth potential is proud to be associated as the title sponsor and looks forward to working for and with the youth of the nation towards a brighter future."
Recommendation received from the competition were initially evaluated by distinguished judges from BRAC, a2i, Bangladesh Agriculture University, LightCastle Partners, Market Insight, University of Oxford, University of Saskatchewan, The University of Manchester, IPDC Finance, Manusher Jonno Foundation, Youth Opportunities, Dhaka Central International Medical College and Hospital, Bangladesh Kidney Foundation Hospital.
The final round of evaluation was done by, Tina Jabeen, Investment Advisor, StartUp Bangladesh, ICt ministry, Government of Bangladesh, Rizwan Dawood Shams, Deputy Managing Director, IPDC Finance Ltd, Sonia Bashir Kabir, Founder, SBK Tech Ventures & SBK Foundation, Dr Abdun Noor Tushar, Physician and Media Personality, Manik Mahmud, Head of Social Innovation Cluster, a2i, Mustafiz Rahman Khan, CEO and Founder, Upskill and Startup Dhaka; Partner, IDLC VC Fund 1, Farhad Zamil, Country Director, Syngenta Foundation, Shariful Hasan, Head of Migration Program, BRAC, Farah Chowdhury, Manager, BYLC's Office of Professional Development, Arpeeta Shams Mizan, Assistant Professor, University of Dhaka.
"We were overwhelmed to receive 1200+ essays from different parts of the country," said Osama Bin Noor, Co-founder, Youth Opportunities. "We received some excellent recommendations and suggestions from youth across the country. We certainly hope to see them implemented," he added.
Makshudul AM Mondal, Co-founder of Youth Opportunities said "We are thankful to each of our partners for helping us in making this a successful event. We certainly hope to engage in similar endeavours in the future where the youth of the country will get the opportunity to share their ideas for the development of the country".