The hosts Russia face Egypt in their second match of the group. Russia will be looking to book their place in the second round of the tournament while Egypt will be desperate to get their first win in a World Cup match and keep their World Cup hopes alive. The match is scheduled to start at 12:00 am in Bangladesh time. Here we look at some of the statistics ahead of the encounter.
Egypt and Russia have never played against each other in any tournaments or in any international friendlies. Today’s match will be their maiden encounter.
1) Russia scored more goals in the first game of the 2018 World Cup than in the whole of the 2014 tournament in Brazil, where they netted just twice in three group matches.
2) Since the dissolution of the Soviet Union, Russia are unbeaten against African teams at the World Cup (W2, D1), including a 6-1 win over Cameroon in 1994 in which Oleg Salenko scored five.
3) Russia's 5-0 win against Saudi Arabia was the biggest victory by a host nation in an opening game since Italy beat the USA 7-1 in 1934.
4) Russia have failed to reach the knockout stage of the World Cup in three attempts (1994, 2002 and 2014).
1) Egypt are still waiting for their first win at a World Cup finals (D2, L3). No African side has played as many World Cup games without a win.
2) The Pharaohs have failed to score in each of their last three World Cup matches. Their last goal was a penalty scored by Magdy Adbelghani in a 1-1 with the Netherlands in 1990.
3) Their only World Cup clean sheet came in a 0-0 draw with the Republic of Ireland in June 1990.
4) Mohamed Elneny completed 44 passes versus Uruguay in their first game, the most by an Egyptian player at the World Cup.