Ridge gourd or sponge gourd is popularly known as ‘Jhinga’ in Bangladesh. Biologically ridge gourd is referred to as Luffa acutangula. It is a ridged and dark green vegetable with white pulp inside.
The taste of the vegetable resembles zucchinis. The ridge gourd has some amazing health benefits and is a great source of medicinal properties. Some of the health benefits are listed below.
• Ridge gourd is extremely rich in dietary fibre and enriched with all the vital elements that include Vitamin-C, zinc, iron, riboflavin, magnesium, thiamine and traces of another minerals.
• It is low in saturated fat, cholesterol and calories that aids in weight loss.
• Ridge gourd contains good amount of cellulose and high in water content that helps to relieve from constipation.
• It contains insulin like peptides and alkaloids that helps to reduce the sugar levels in the blood and urine.
• It is high in beta-carotene which is good for enhancing eye sight.
• Ridge gourd acts effective in purifying blood. It boosts up and nourishes the liver health and protects the liver from alcohol intoxication.
• Ridge gourd juice is used to heal jaundice and to strengthen your immune system against any infection.
• It is good for skin care, as the blood purifying qualities in it ensures you to stay clear from pimples and acne.
• Ridge gourd helps to manage acidity as well as ulcers. It is well known as a cooling agent and aids in handling burning sensation during urination.