President Donald Trump has not yet decided whether to back a deal hammered out by congressional negotiators to avert another partial government shutdown, the White House said yesterday, putting the future of the agreement that contains funds for US-Mexican border security but not his promised wall in doubt.
Democratic and Republican negotiators reached the tentative deal on Monday night on border security provisions and money to keep several government agencies including the Department of Homeland Security funded through Sept 30, the end of the current fiscal year. Temporary funding for about a quarter of the government is due to expire on Friday.
Trump, who triggered a 35-day partial government shutdown with his December demand for $5.7 billion to help build the border wall, has not yet made up his mind on the deal, said a White House official, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Republican Senator Richard Shelby on Monday said the House-Senate committee set up last month at the end of the previous shutdown had an agreement in principle to pay for border security programs.
A final agreement is expected by late yesterday. The funding legislation would need to be passed in the House and Senate and signed by Trump.
Trump's long-promised wall was a cornerstone of his presidential campaign. He had said it would be paid for by Mexico and not by U.S. taxpayers.
Congressional sources said the agreement includes $1.37 billion for new fencing along 55 miles (90 km) of the southern border but only with currently used designs, such as "steel bollard" fencing. It will also address immigrant detention beds.
Trump has threatened to declare a "national emergency" if Congress does not give him wall money.