The Bangladesh Cricket Board has cleared Mustafizur Rahman to play for Sussex, a senior official said yesterday.
Mustafizur, Bangladesh’s 20-year-old pace bowling sensation, was scheduled to join Sussex earlier this month after signing as their second overseas cricketer in March for the NatWest T20 Blast tournament and the Royal London One-Day Cup. But his participation was thrown into uncertainty by the BCB’s medical team, which feared that the cricketer might be burnt out after gruelling campaigns in the ICC World Twenty20 and the Indian Premier League.
“Our medical team has given a positive report about Mustafizur Rahman’s physical condition,” Jalal Yunus, BCB’s spokesperson said.
“He is doing fine in training at the moment and we expect him to improve by the time he leaves for the UK. He will leave for England on July 13 subject to visa availability,” he said.
Mustafizur helped Sunrisers Hyderabad win their maiden IPL title with 17 wickets from 16 matches. He was named emerging player of the tournament, the first foreign cricketer to be bestowed with the honour, after conceding just 6.9 runs per over, the lowest among those who bowled in at least ten matches.
He is now expected to make his debut for Sussex against Hampshire at Hove on July 15 in the NatWest T20 Blast and play at least four matches in the competition.
He is also expected to play four more matches in the Royal London One-Day Cup.
Sussex, who are currently fourth in the South Group, three points behind leaders Glamorgan in the T20 competition, have signed Nuwan Kulasekara, the Sri Lanka seamer, for a short term as they await Mustafizur’s arrival.