Barca boss praises Messi and Neymar | The Daily Star
01:07 PM, July 18, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:22 PM, July 18, 2017

Barca boss praises Messi and Neymar

New Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde laughed off the idea of bringing in new players on Monday saying the best signings were the players already in the dressing room.

"I'm more than happy with the way things stand," said Valverde when pressed on the potential signing of Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Marco Verratti.

"Happy with the players, happy with their work and their attitude," he said as his players prepare for their trip to the United States on Wednesday.

"I really don't care about any player anywhere else," he said, knowing fans will be keen to win back the Spanish League title and indeed the Champions League, both won by their arch-rivals Real Madrid.

"Even if you might argue we need back up in certain areas," he said, adding Barcelona had no offers on the table for any of their players either.

"For me, the best signings are the players I already have in my team."

He said Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar, Barcelona's attacking trident were "a huge factor in the intimidation of our rivals."

"Messi is a unique player and wherever I play him he will flourish. He will continue in the role he has always had, he'll continue to do that very well," he said.

Over the last two seasons Valverde's predecessor Luis Enrique had sometimes strained relations with Messi, who he pulled deeper and then pushed out to the right.

"We need him both as a creator of chances and a finisher of chances, where he really makes the difference," insisted the former Athletic Bilbao coach.

"As for Neymar -- he's doing very well in his current role, although we know he too could play in other roles," said Valverde of the 25-year-old Brazil captain.

Barcelona paper Sport reported that Neymar was uncomfortable in Barcelona. There had been much interest over Neymar this summer from various clubs.

Neymar admitted to having talks with PSG president Nasser Al Khelafi last summer.

The brazilian signed a new deal on October 21, 2016, to stay at the club until June 30, 2021.

Barcelona sporting director Robert Fernandez said regarding signings: "We have time ahead of us. I don't want to be annoying and if we rush, we won't get anywhere. We have a magnificent team, and any player we want to sign will be an important player and they usually have contracts and are at good teams. Our intention is not to lose players but to improve the squad. We want those who are here and if we get the chance to improve, we will do so."

Barcelona play Juventus, Manchester United and Real Madrid in a lightening tour of the United States next week.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top