Turkey’s trial of Saudi suspects resumes | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, November 24, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:57 AM, November 24, 2020

JAMAL KHASHOGGI KILLING

Turkey’s trial of Saudi suspects resumes

A Turkish court will resume the trial in absentia of 20 Saudi officials today for the gruesome killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Khashoggi, a 59-year-old Washington Post newspaper columnist and prominent critic of Saudi Arabia's de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018, where he had gone to obtain documents for his impending wedding to his Turkish fiancee, Hatice Cengiz.

The journalist was killed at the consulate and his body was reportedly dismembered and removed from the building. His remains have never been found.

The killing sparked international outrage and tarnished the image of MBS.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said the order to murder Khashoggi came from "the highest levels" of the Saudi government but has not directly blamed MBS.

Saudi Arabia said Khashoggi was killed in a "rogue operation" by agents and the crown prince has denied ordering it.

Last year, a United Nations investigation found that high-level Saudi officials had carefully planned and endorsed the murder.

Following an investigation, Turkish prosecutors in March accused Saud al-Qahtani, a former senior adviser to MBS, and Ahmad al-Asiri, Saudi Arabia's former deputy intelligence chief, with incitement to first-degree murder.

A further 18 Saudi nationals were charged with premeditated murder. Prosecutors are seeking life sentences for all of the accused.

The defendants all left Turkey and Saudi Arabia has refused to extradite them. "Red notice" detention requests via Interpol have been issued for the 20 men.

The indictment included evidence from phone records and CCTV footage of the suspects and named 54 witnesses, including 26 Turkish members of staff of the consulate and the consul's residence.

Agnes Callamard, the United Nations expert on extrajudicial killings, has said the indictment was a "counterbalance to the travesty of justice at the hands of Saudi Arabia".

A Saudi court in September overturned the death sentences handed down to five defendants after a closed-door trial in Saudi Arabia last year, sentencing them to 20 years in prison instead.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top