IS cap came from jail | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, November 29, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 07:15 AM, November 29, 2019

IS cap came from jail

Police find in primary probe

Rakibul Hasan Regan, a death row convict in the Holey Artisan café attack case, carried the prayer cap emblazoned with the IS logo to the court from jail, police found in primary investigation.

“Primarily, we have come to know that from jail he wore the cap outside in, and in the courtroom he wore it inside out,” Mahbub Alam, joint commissioner of Detective Branch of police, told The Daily Star yesterday.

He added that usually if any accused carried a prayer cap, they were not barred.

Mahbub, chief of the three-member committee formed by Dhaka Metropolitan Police commissioner on Wednesday to probe how the convict got such a cap and brought it to the courtroom, said there was no instance of IS making such a cap.

The committee has been asked to submit its report within three working days.

Its two other members are Mashiur Rahman, DB deputy commissioner (north), and Shahadat Hossain, additional deputy commissioner of the Intelligence and Analysis Division of DMP.

As soon as a Dhaka court completed the judgement delivery in the Holey Artisan café attack case on Wednesday, Regan, who was in the dock, wore the cap emblazoned with the emblem of the Islamic State, a global militant outfit.

He still had the cap on when police brought him out of the courtroom and took him to a prison van parked on the court premises. Inside the van, another death row convict Jahangir Alam alias Rajib Gandhi was seen wearing a similar cap.

The court sentenced Regan, Jahangir, and five other militants to death for their involvement in the 2016 attack in the capital’s Gulshan, which left 22 people, including 17 foreigners, dead.

But from where did the cap come from? This question dominated everyone’s conversation both in court and on social media.

On Wednesday, Mahbubul Islam, jailer of the Dhaka Central Jail in Keraniganj, said they handed over the accused to the representative of detectives and Special Branch of police after searching them.

“We have all the video footage which show that they left without having any such caps on them,” he said, claiming that there was no scope of collecting the cap from within the prison.

On the day, the jail authorities also formed a three-member committee, led by the additional IG prisons, to probe whether the jail authorities had any involvement in this matter.

The committee has been asked to submit its report within five days.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News