Robber’ killed in ‘gunfight’ with cops in Dhaka
12:00 AM, February 13, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 03:09 AM, February 13, 2019

'Robber' killed in 'gunfight' in capital

Two cops hurt; bullet-hit body found in Rajshahi

An alleged robber was killed in a “gunfight” with police in the capital's Wari area early yesterday.

The victim, Shanto Chowdhury, 18, was a resident of Narayanganj, said Nurul Amin, additional deputy commissioner of police (Wari Division), adding that he, along with at least 14 others, used to rob people in different areas of the city.

For all latest news, follow The Daily Star's Google News channel.

Two sub-inspectors Raqibul Islam and Shukanta Biswas were seriously injured during the incident, the ADC added.

Nurul said police conducted a drive on information that a gang of robbers was taking preparation to commit a robbery in Gopibagh Rail Gate area around 11:45pm on Monday.

As policemen tried to arrest them, one of them started stabbing the law enforcers indiscriminately with a sharp weapon and tried to escape.

When police chased them, the criminals opened fire on the law enforcers, forcing them to retaliate that resulted in a “gunfight”, he said.

Shanto had a bullet injury while the two police officials Raqibul and Shukanta suffered stab injuries during the incident, Nurul said, adding that Shanto was taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital where he died around 7:00am yesterday.

Of the injured officials, Shukanta is undergoing treatment at National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases with stab injuries in his head and hand, the police official said.

Rakibul was admitted to Asgar Ali Hospital in Old Dhaka with stab wounds in head, police said.

Police caught two of Shanto's associates Munna, 23, and Sunny, 24, from the spot.

Meanwhile, police recovered a man's bullet-hit body in Godagari upazila of Rajshahi yesterday.

The victim, Motiur Rahman Moti, 40, stood accused in a criminal case, said Abdur Razzak, additional superintendent of Rajshahi district police.

However, the police official could not go into detail about the case filed back in 2006.

The body had two bullet marks on its forehead and chest, Razzak said.

Amena Begum, wife of the victim, said Moti went missing since Monday morning after he took his child to school.

The body was sent to Rajshahi Medical College morgue for an autopsy.

Our Rajshahi correspondent contributed to this report.

Related Topics

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News