Seven placed on remand over Major (Retd) Sinha murder case
12:27 PM, August 12, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 02:32 PM, August 12, 2020

Seven placed on remand over Major (Retd) Sinha murder case

A Cox's Bazar court today placed seven people, including four policemen, on seven-day remand each in a case filed over the killing of Major (retd) Sinha Md Rashed Khan.

Teknaf Senior Judicial Magistrate Court Judge Tamanna Farah passed the order after hearing the separate remand petitions, our Cox's Bazar correspondent reports quoting lawyer Mohammad Mostofa.

Assistant Superintendent of Police Jamil Ul Haque, investigation officer of the case from Rapid Action Battalion (Rab), sought 10-day remand for each of the accused, said the lawyer.

Of the accused, three people, who were made witnesses in the murder case filed by police, were sent to jail yesterday after they were arrested by Rapid Action Battalion members from Marishbania in Cox's Bazar.

The arrestees -- Nurul Amin, Nizam Uddin and Md Ayash -- are residents of Marishbania area of Baharchhara union in Teknaf and members of community police.

Judge Md Helal Uddin passed the order to send the arrestees to jail after they were produced before the Senior Judicial Magistrate's Court of Teknaf upazila yesterday.

The judge also set today as the date of the hearing on the petitions filed by Rab seeking remand of the three arrestees.

Earlier on August 10, a court sent four policemen to jail in the murder case and set today as the date of hearing on the petitions filed by the investigation officer of the case.

The four policemen are assistant sub-Inspector Litan Miah and constables Safanur Karim, Kamal Hossain and Abdullah Al Mamun.

On August 6, officer-in-charge of Teknaf Police Station Pradeep Kumar Das, Inspector Liaqat Ali, and Sub-Inspector Nandadulal Rakhshit were each placed on 7-day remand by a Cox's Bazar court. Inspector Liaqat Ali, who shot Sinha dead, is the prime accused in the case.

Sinha, 36, had been making travel documentaries for a YouTube channel called "Just Go". On the fateful night, he was returning to Cox's Bazar from Teknaf. His car was stopped at Shaplapur on Marine Drive.

Police claimed that they tried to search the vehicle, and Sinha aimed his pistol at them prompting them to shoot back in self-defence. They also claimed that they seized drugs from the vehicle.

However, witnesses gave a different account of the incident. They said Sinha got down from his car, put his hands over his head, and then police shot him.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News