Shipra gets out on bail | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, August 10, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:26 AM, August 10, 2020

Shipra gets out on bail

Rab keen on probing murder case against Shifat

Stamford University student Shipra Debnath was released from jail after a Cox's Bazar court granted her bail in a drugs-related case yesterday.

The documentary film crew was accused and arrested after police in Teknaf shot dead the team leader Maj (retd) Sinha Md Rashed Khan on July 31.

Another court in the district would hear the bail petition of Shahedul Islam Shifat, the crew member who was present when Sinha got shot.

Lt Col Ashique Billah, director of Rab's legal and media wing, told The Daily Star that they applied to the court to conduct the investigation into Shifat's case.

Rights organisation Ain O Salish Kendra has been providing legal assistance to Shipra. Her lawyer Arup Barua Topu told the court that police accused her in a fabricated case to derail the investigation into Sinha killing.

After the prosecution opposed the plea, Senior Judicial Magistrate Delwar Hossain granted the bail.

Stamford students Shifat, Shipra and Tahsin Rifat Noor were in Cox's Bazar to shoot a travel video for Sinha's YouTube channel named Just Go. They were staying at Nilima Resort in Himchari area on Marine Drive Road.

Shifat, who was with Sinha when the shooting happened, was arrested at the scene. Police handed Rifat to his parents' custody.

Witnesses in the narcotics case against Shipra, claimed they were forced to sign on blank papers. Besides, police and witnesses have been giving different accounts of what was seized from their rooms in the resort.

According to the First Information Report, filed by Sub-inspector Shafiqul Islam of Himchharai police outpost, six bottles of liquor and a small amount of marijuana were seized.

But Lokman Khan, caretaker of the resort, said police also seized Tk 2 lakh in cash, a knife, a machete, a desktop computer with monitor, hard drive, a camera, four lenses, a pair of speakers, a keyboard and microphones.

Lokman added that police came back on August 2 and took his signature on a blank piece of paper.

Abdullah, another witness, also said police took his signature on a blank piece of paper.

Asked, Sub-inspector Dipankar Ruaza who is investigating the case, said a separate note was attached to the seizure list about the Tk 2 lakh. He added that a second list is being prepared.

Shifat, who saw the shooting, was accused in a murder and a narcotics case by Teknaf police.

Meanwhile, Stamford students held a rally on campus yesterday, for the fourth consecutive day, and vowed to continue their protest for unconditional release of their two young film students.

They condemned police for attacking participants at a human chain in Bamna upazila of Barguna organised on Saturday for Shifat's release.

A three-member probe body was formed yesterday over the attack.

The team visited the spot yesterday and talked with the organiser of the event, local journalists and policemen, said Mofijul Islam, additional superintendent of police in Barguna, also chief of the probe body.


Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News