Regent Group Chairman Shahed on 28-day remand over cases of fraudulence
01:19 PM, July 26, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:26 PM, July 26, 2020

Regent Group Chairman Shahed on 28-day remand over cases of fraudulence

Regent Group Chairman Mohammad Shahed was placed on a 28-day remand in four fraud cases -- seven days for each case -- filed against him with Uttara Paschim and Uttara Purba police stations.

Metropolitan Magistrate Rajesh Chowdhury passed the orders after four separate investigation officers (IO) produced him before the court today with a 40-day remand prayer.

On the other hand, Regent Group's Managing Director Masud Parvez was placed on a 21-day remand in three cases filed with Uttar Paschim and Purba police stations.

Shahed was also shown arrested in two arms cases filed with Uttara Paschim Police Station.

The magistrate passed the order after two IO submitted two separate petitions for showing him arrested in the cases.

All five cases -- including two arms cases -- were filed with the police stations on July 13, 16 and 19.

In the today's remand prayers, the IOs said the accused, in league with other accused, misappropriated a large sum of money of three businessmen and possessed Hotel Melina forcefully.

So, they need to be remanded to retrieve more information about the incidents.

Defence lawyers submitted three separate petitions seeking bail, along with cancellation of the remand prayers.

After hearing both sides, the magistrate turned down their bail petitions and placed Shahed on a 28-day remand and placed Masud on a 21-day remand for quizzing.

Shahed and Masud were produced before the court on completion of their 10-day remand in a case filed over issuing fake Covid-19 results and charging the patients for tests and treatment.

On Friday, Tariqul Islam alias Tareq Shibli, a public relations officer of Regent Group, gave a confessional statement in the same case.

 Shahed was arrested from Satkhira when he was trying to leave the country while Managing Director MasudPavez was arrested from Gazipur on July 14.

They were placed on 10-day remand on July 16.

In the early hours of July 8, Inspector Zulhas Mia of Rab-1 filed the case with Uttara Paschim Police Station against Regent Group Chairman Md Shahed, its MD Masud Parvez and 15 others.

Before the case was filed, the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) directed the authorities of Regent Hospital to shut down their Uttara branch after a mobile court on July 7 found discrepancies and sealed off the head office and Uttara branch of the private hospital.

Six others accused in the case went into hiding since the case was filed against them.

Executive Magistrate SarwoerAlam, who led the drive, said the hospital authorities issued more than 10,000 Covid-19 test results. Around 4,200 samples were tested at different government labs, but they threw away the rest of the samples, prepared fake reports and handed those to people.

The hospital authorities took Tk 3,500 for each test, meaning they embezzled more than Tk 3.5 crore, despite having an agreement with the government on conducting tests and providing free treatment, he added.

The drive began after Rab received complaints about 14 reports provided by the hospital which were verified as fake by Institute of Public Health.

However, the Uttara branch's Managing Director Mizanur Rahman filed a general diary with Uttara West Police Station on July 3, claiming that a vested quarter was taking money and collecting samples for Covid-19 test from suspected patients by identifying themselves as Regent Hospital officials.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News