At least five mine workers killed in blast in southern India | The Daily Star
04:27 PM, January 22, 2021 / LAST MODIFIED: 04:37 PM, January 22, 2021

At least five mine workers killed in blast in southern India

At least five mine workers were killed in southern India when their trucks carrying blasting material exploded, officials said today. Local media said the toll could be higher.

The workers were transporting gelatin sticks used commonly as explosive material in stone mining quarries, a senior police official at the site of the accident, in Shivamogga district of Karnataka state, said.

For all latest news, follow The Daily Star's Google News channel.

News18 said that the death toll could be as high as 11.

Karnataka, home to the tech hub of Bengaluru, has vast mineral deposits and stone quarries, but the safety of mine workers has remained a concern.

Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yedyurappa said five people were confirmed dead and three people including the owner of the quarry had been detained and an investigation was ongoing.

"Pained by the loss of lives in Shivamogga ... the state government is providing all possible assistance to the affected," Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a Twitter post.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top